Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Unit 1: Job Ad, Analysis & Résumé


Unit 1 involved composition of a resume and rhetorically analyzing a job ad. We had to put ourselves in the situation of an applicant.

  • As for the résumé, there were no issues, but I did have to refine a draft I already had. I had never done a job analysis before so I didn’t know what was required of me. I had trouble finding key words.
  • I intend to continue improving and updating my resume. I also feel that my cover letter could always use more work and should be individually tailored to each organization I wish to apply to.
  • They are important because they are key components of the job application process. Those materials are the only things a potential employer has to judge me on.
  • The goals I have set for myself in terms of my professional development are to conduct more thorough research on the organization which I am applying to, I also want to learn how to better prepare a cover letter. Another goal is to update my resume.
  • I believe that it is important to do ample research on a company before applying. It helps me have a better understanding of who/what they are looking for. Also, I find that it helps me tailor my application better.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Can you offer me some info on what you did? You offer many things one should consider, but how did these considerations play into your writing and, now, on the reflecting?